Eastern Great Egret or White Heron- The bird that changes its bill color!

I was gazing out of the window of my drawing room when I noticed some white moving animal. At first I thought it must be the puppy that roams around the driveway all day. But then it struck me that this creature was much whiter than any puppy. I went outside to see it and I saw two white egrets or herons.

The eastern great egret is a large heron with all-white plumage. Its bill is yellow in the breeding season and black at other times, and its long legs are red or black. The Asian species can be distinguished from the Australian species by the size of their necks. The Australian species have necks almost one and half times as long as its own body. 

These white herons live a few kilometers away from here. The Sunderbans. The last time I visited the Sunderbans there were flocks of white herons flying over the mangroves. These birds travelled from there in search for food.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Common hawk-cuckoo / Papiya

Hoopoe in Jaipur

White Wagtail spotted in September